The novel coronavirus is spreading globally and has killed at least 2,800 people, the vast majority in mainland China. There have been more than 83,000 global cases, with infections on every continent, except Antarctica.
Here’s what’s happening:
- Global markets have plunged and are on course for their worst week since the 2008 financial crisis.
- South Korea has the biggest outbreak outside China, with more than 2,300 cases.
- At least 20 European countries now have confirmed cases of coronavirus, many of which have been traced to a cluster in northern Italy.
- A sixth person has died after being kept in quarantine aboard the Diamond Princess cruise ship in Japan.
- Iran’s situation is unclear as the country reports the biggest cluster in the Middle East and highest number of deaths outside mainland China, but with a low number of cases.
- The Geneva Motor Show, one of the world’s biggest car shows, has been canceled because of coronavirus fears.