Bako, John Chukwudi
Nigeria has recorded 12 cases of coronavirus in the last couple of days. Government at all levels are charged to put measures in place to stem the spread of the virus and provide leadership in this direction. While Nigerians await the address by the president on COVID-19 Pandemic, some state governors have risen to the occasion – using different platforms to assure people in their respective states that there is no cause for alarm while intimating them of efforts and measures being put in place by authorities to protect, save lives and attend to those that will be infected (if there is such case(s) in future.
The governor of Oyo state, Seyi Makinde has used his twitter handle to send out his address to the good people of Oyo state. Seyi as popularly called by his people said that a lot has come to light in Nigeria regarding COVID-19 (known as coronavirus disease) between yesterday and today, which has been ravaging the world for the past few months. At a point, some people thought we were immune to this disease”. Opinion some people still hold till now, the governor said.
Although as stated by our Commissioner for Health, Dr Bashir Bello, at a press conference this morning. “We do not currently have any confirmed case of Coronavirus in Oyo State; we still all need to be more proactive”.
I have received your complaints about the rally that was held yesterday, and I feel obligated to state in clear terms that we acted based on the information we had at that time. In retrospect, it should not have happened, and I take responsibility for that lapse in judgement. On assuming office on May 29, 2019, I swore an oath to serve and protect you, I want to assure you that our administration is doing everything in our power and working with the agencies of the Federal Government, to take proactive measures to prevent the spread of this virus.
The governor urged members of the public not to give in to any form of panic while assuring them that several measures would be taken by all to beat the virus.
The governor maintained that; proper hygiene through frequent washing of the hands, scrubbing for 20 seconds with soap and water, and the use of hand sanitizers that are 90% alcohol based, is a keyway to prevent the spread of this disease.
He implores all citizens to make these practices as a routine and priority. Social distancing is also highly encouraged, he said.
He outlined what the state government is doing at the moment, which include –
- Setting up the Oyo State COVID-19 Task Force led by him
- This task force will be holding its first meeting on Friday, March 20, 2020.
- There will be a press conference and update immediately after the meeting to disseminate all decisions reached and implemented.
- The Free Health Mission which was launched on Monday, March 16, 2020, will continue
- The mission will be used as a vehicle for disseminating information about Coronavirus prevention and control.
- He calls on anyone experiencing any symptoms of COVID-19 such as dry cough, fever, nausea, severe headaches, difficulty breathing & tiredness to isolate themselves and call the following Ministry of Health helplines: 08038210122/ 08023229267/ 08073431342.
On a final note, Seyi urged all citizens of Oyo State to remain calm and observe all preventive measures announced by the State and Federal Ministries of Health and their agencies.