The United Nations (UN) Resident and Humanitarian Coordinator in Nigeria, Edward Kallon, says the killing of 43 rice farmers by Boko Haram at Zabarmari town of Borno State on Saturday was the “most violent direct attack against innocent civilians this year”.
HumAngle reported that no less than 43 farmers in the town less than 20 kilometres from the state capital Maiduguri were slaughtered by the Boko Haram terrorist group.
In a statement issued on Sunday, Kallon also demanded for an immediate action for the perpetrators to be brought to justice.
“I am outraged and horrified by the gruesome attack against civilians carried out by non-state armed groups in villages near Borno State capital Maiduguri,” he said.
“Tens of civilians were ruthlessly killed and many others were wounded in this attack,” he said.
“I extend my sincere condolences to the families of the civilians who lost their lives in this atrocious attack. I also wish a speedy recovery to those who were wounded in the incident.”
Kallon said the UN was also informed that women were kidnapped, calling for their release.
“My thoughts are also with the rural communities in the area, who are shocked by the brutality of yesterday’s attack and fear for their safety,” he said.
He also reiterated the UN’s commitment where it comes to humanitarian work in providing life saving and development assistance to the vulnerable in Borno state.
The organisation had previously warned that Nigeria faces an increased risk of famine due to the food insecurity ravaging the region caused by incessant attacks by terrorists.
“Rural communities in Borno State are facing untold hardships. Helping them to farmland and rebuild livelihoods are amongst our priorities and the only way to avoid the looming food crisis in Borno State,” Kallon added.,
“They and all other civilians need to be protected and spared from any kind of violence.
“Innocent women, children and men desperately need food and other support and assistance, particularly at a time when we are recording some of the highest levels of food insecurity in Borno State. We owe to do our utmost to help them survive these difficult times.”
The European Union (EU) High Representative of Foreign Policy and Security, Josep Borrell also described the incident as nothing short of horrific.
In his statement made Sunday on the barbaric attack, Borrell said he was “deeply shocked by yet another horrific attack targeting innocent civilians in the North-East of Nigeria”.
“We have to continue our collective engagement against terror and violence to provide peace, security and stability for all people in Africa,” he added.
This morning, Babagana Zulum, Governor of Borno State, attended the funeral of the slain farmers.
Meanwhile, AFP has reported a rise in the casualty figures from 43 to 110.
Eyewitnesses and vigilantes told HumAngle that the figure includes those that are likely abducted and unaccounted for during the attacks.